Wednesday 1 January 2014

Peter Luger Steakhouse - the best steak I've ever had

If I am on my deathbed and I get to choose my very last meal, I would say Peter Luger Steakhouse.


Being a steak aficionado, it houses one of the best steaks I have ever had in my life!
I would definitely return to the States just for Peter Lugers.
Strictly by reservations. Even with one, you have sit by the bar sometimes before you get seated in the restaurant.


Nestled in the heart of Brooklyn, the restaurant is not exactly in the best location. Parking is limited, so if you are driving around the neighbourhood, get ready. I remember walking through the shady streets of Brooklyn just to arrive at Peter Luger's, but boy it does not fit in with the streets.

When we arrived, there were friendly hosts ready to usher us. It was a homely and cosy setting, somewhere you can feel the warmth on a cold winter night.


Of course, when it is down to the menu, we know we have to order the big guns. We travelled far and wide for this place.

We settled for good o' caesar salad, Luger's sizzling bacon extra thick by the size and the famous PORTERHOUSE steak for two.


The complimentary bread was warmly toasted. But we have to constantly remind ourselves not to gorge ourselves silly as the big guns awaits.




Our appetizers! Honestly, caesar is just plain caesar, there was nothing really special about it. Just that I am used to eating caesar with my steaks so we had to order it. My friend who has been there, was shouting out for its creamy spinach which we had missed.

The food at Peter Luger's is more of a rustic and family style kinda restaurant. Not exactly like your French fine dining sorta food. But it has earned itself one michelin star! It is extremely legit and I highly recommend!




The Porterhouse for two. But it is befitting for 3 to share.

The aged porterhouse was pink with very even marbling. Once it is selected, the loin is brought to the restaurant where they begin the dry aging process where the beef will sit in a temperature controlled cooler with circulation of air around them. After being properly aged, it will be butchered and brought to the kitchen for broiling before serving with Peter Luger's special house sauce.

Personally, I prefer it plain. The juices from the meat is sufficient and I feel that the sauce do take away some of its original yummy goodness. The meat was succulent, even amount of fat in each bite and the yummy goodness of meat surpasses that of Wagyu porterhouse I tried at an Italian steakhouse in Singapore.

So we stuffed ourselves happy with the porterhouse with a mega food-venture to share.


Peter Luger, Inc.
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211
Reservations:
718-387-7400

Peter Luger of Long Island, Inc.
255 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck, N.Y. 11021
Reservations:
516-487-8800

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review. I love your writing, please do more food reviews in SG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your encouragement, I will try my best to deliver that. :)

    ReplyDelete