Wednesday 1 January 2014

Countdown to New Year at Times Square!



With the minutes ticking to the New Year, can you recall how was 2013 for you?
Did you managed to check off all the new year resolutions you made for 2013?

Since young, I will pen down a list of new year resolutions at the start of every year. But slowly as the years go by, I realised that the chances of checking those resolutions off is gets smaller and smaller. So last year, I only has one new year resolution - which is to be a happier person. I guess I have managed to fulfil it.

This year, although my new year was not that awesome standing in the middle of Times Square for hours waiting for the big ball to drop, it was nice and chill right at home with my family members close to my heart.

Have you ever been to a NYE countdown at Times Square?
Sitting right in front of the computer one year later, I shall recount my experience back then:


5 Tips for going into NYE Times Square Countdown Zone:

#1. Have a hearty breakfast, lunch or brunch
I remember having my brunch at a Spanish Place around the corner named as La Parrilla Dyckman Express Restaurant. The set lunches are priced between USD$5 - 10. It is opened 24 hours. The reason why you have to eat your fill or bring along a sandwiches and snacks is to ensure that you are fed while you're bound to get hungry during the 8 hour wait. But don't you worry, many pizzas, hot drinks for sale at 5 times the cost along the queue!

La Parrilla Dyckman Express Restaurant
101 Dyckman Street
New York, NY 10040
Washington Heights
http://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/dyckman-express-restaurant-new-york



#2. Do not drink any bit of water once you enter the street
That's because the security guards will barricade you in small areas and once you enter the barricade, you can't get out of it. Once you get out of it, you can't get back in again. And very unfortunately, you will have to survive through a long gruelling wait of approximately 8 hours. You want to consider peeing all that you can in advance as well. I had a hard time looking for a decent toilet in the vicinity.

#3. Avoid going too early in the morning
We reached Times Square at about 2pm. The timing is just right because that's the time where they open up the streets around the ball. I remember scurrying through 44th street just outside W hotel and we literally ran crazily with other tourists to be caged up for NYE countdown.

#4. Prepare to climb in, have lots of siblings, be pushy
When you are at the barricades, tons of people will try their luck with the security guards just to enter the barricades. Honestly you ask me to do it again, I will never. But be sure to go along with a group of people so you can watch each other's backs.


#5. Always prepare for fight or flight
Prepare for battle, if not, then just run and take cover from that area as fast as you could. For us, we could not withstand the long wait out in the cold. After taking a mandatory group photo, all of us part ways. The others went to the pizza joint to wait till the ball drops. As for me....

I have decided the best way to celebrate new year like every other Asians...
We had our steamboat fix at good O' Chinatown - Ala Carte Buffet for USD$18.99 per pax. What a steal!



We had awesome Cantonese styled steamboat, piping hot with a variety of dipping sauces, fresh seafood and fatty streaky pork and beef galore. Although it can't compare with the famous steamboat places back home, it really is a hearty NYE dinner. At least it beats waiting out in the cold in hunger for that tiny puny ball to drop.

I cannot seem to find the exact location of the restaurant but I am sure you will stumble it around Chinatown. It has an extremely long queue of people at the door and I am sure the smell of the broth will bring you right where it is.

Before the strike of midnight, we were back in our Airbnb right in the front of the computer, watching in full HD how the ball drop from Times Square. Aye, it was still an awesome 2013 after all.

New York City, the best place to be:
Concrete Jungle where dreams are made,
There's nothing you can't do;
These streets will make you feel brand new,
Bright lights will inspire you.

I hoped that you have dreamed, travelled and be inspired in 2013.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, I HOPE 2014 WILL BRING BIGGER AND GREATER HAPPINESS, HEALTH AND WEALTH TO EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment